Lauren's Kitchenwelcome to my kitchen
I’ve really been on a “mustard as a sauce” kick lately. I wanted to do something a bit different, and since our banana peppers are going crazy lately, along with our basil, I decided to wrap some thin chicken breast around a filling of basil, cheese, and peppers. Then coat in a delicious mustard yogurt sauce, and then bread with panko and more cheese. Delicious!
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tsp chopped fresh chives
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 fresh banana peppers, seeded and chopped finely
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, about 6 oz. each, pounded to 3/4 of an inch
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup fine fresh bread crumbs of panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmaggiano or pecorino romano cheese
To make the sauce, stir together 1/2 cup yogurt, the 1 Tbsp mustard, and the chives in a small bowl. Let the sauce stand at room temperature to lose it’s chill while the chicken bakes
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly brush a non stick baking sheet with some of the melted butter.
Sprinkle 1 1/2 tsp of the basil and peppers and a pinch of the cheese in the center of 1 chicken breast and season with salt and pepper. Fold in the short ends of the breast about 1/2 inch. Starting at the long side, roll up the breast, enclosing the basil, peppers, and cheese. Repeat with remaining breasts.
In a shallow bowl, stir together the 1/3 cup yogurt and the remaining 1 tsp mustard. In a shallow dish, stir together the bread crumbs and cheese. Roll each chicken breast in the yogurt mixture, and then coat with the crumb mixture. Place on the prepared baking sheet, and drizzle with the remainging melted butter. Bake until the coating is golden brown and the chicken shows no sign of pink when cut into the center, about 30 minutes. Serve hot, with a dollop of sauce on the side.
I served mine with some steamed green beans and fresh cherry tomatoes. Enjoy!
You may be interested in these recipes: